World of Paragons

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » World of Paragons » Serenity Knights » Serenity Knights

Serenity Knights

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Serenity City: United Republic

The wind howls as the students arrive through the gates, hustling and bustling down the corridors. Friends are greeting each other with a hug or a playful punch while newcomers stand looking scared. The seniors stand, tall and proud, a confidence born of experience.

The halls were crowded with people, and the chaos was so perfect, like a movie. There was the couple that was always making out on the left side of the hall, and about ten feet farther down, the cliquey girls. Opposite them, the cliquey jocks, and between them, the parade of band geeks with their huge instrument cases. There were the aerospace tech kids who never did anything but make paper airplanes and the fashion kids that wheeled mannequins and clothing racks down the halls.

Then there were the two muscular young men in one of the men's rooms. One of them had his back turned to his friend with his shirt pulled up to reveal the bruises, welts, and claw marks covering his torso. "Be honest. Do I look as bad as I feel?"

"Not gonna lie. You look like you got mauled by a tiger." His friend replied.

The young man dropped his shirt back down and put his jacket back on. "Yeah. That's about right. I gotta tell ya we were right on the money about this guy. He was like a pissed-off Sabertooth Tiger on crack. Did I tell you he set his hands on fire?"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. Thankfully the rain put a damper on that but I still had to deal with his speed and strength. Never seen anyone move around like he does." He sighed and walked over to a mirror. He was a tall young man, standing at six feet tall with a powerfully built body with green eyes. His hair, usually slicked back, was today wild and unkempt with parts of his bangs shooting outwards in spikes. He turned on the water and began splashing it in his face to wake himself back up. "I'm not worried though. If he comes back I'll be ready to smash him down again."

"Okay that's a brilliant idea but just for the hell of it let's come up with an actual battle plan Matt."

"Cut me some slack Hank it is early and I got in a super brawl last night." Matthew Maximilian replied while drying his face off.

"Did you get the girls out?" Hank Harrison asked his friend. Like his friend Matt, his body was rock-solid muscle. Fitting the star quarterback of Serenity High and the Captain of the Wrestling Team. He had light brown hair he kept short and hazel eyes to match.

"Yeah. Yeah got them all out. They'll talk to the police and they'll track this dirtbag down." Matt balled up the paper towel and tossed it into a recycler. "With his high-rise hideout broken down, he'll be on the run for a new place to hide anyway so we've got some time."

"So....what are we gonna call this guy anyway?"

"Good question. I'm thinking of going with Animality."

"Animal nature or character. physical, instinctive behavior or qualities. Yeah, that sounds accurate." Hank agreed.

"Thank you."

"Still I think we should get you a new name already."

"What's wrong with Bruiser?" Matt questioned as he picked up his backpack which was filled with weights along with the various books and school supplies.

"Nothing it's just....I think you should go with something more iconic and inspirational. Not just something the media gives you." Hank shrugged.

"I'll think about it." They headed towards the door.

"By the way." Hank opened the door. "Did you finish your AP Physics homework?"

"FFFFffffuuuuudge!"

Hank laughed. "Look on the bright side. You've got study hall before physics. You can squeeze it in there."

"Well if I bust my butt then maybe. Sure."

"I have faith in you bro." They started walking the hallways to the first period. "Moving on. We're getting a new student today."

"We're getting a few. Anyone in particular?"

"Flannery Kingston. My dad says her mom's joining the force today and-"

"Woah woah woah! Kingston? As in Jennifer Kingston?" Matt asked excitedly. "The Super Cop from Stonehollow?"

"The same one. You know her?"

"Seen her exploits on the news and my uncle is in the armed forces with a relative of hers. So I know her by association."

"Epic. So be sure to get along with her alright? Show her around the school, help her get comfortable. And who knows? Maybe Super Cop will deal with Animality for you."

Matt chuckled. "Ahhh with the tech they have these days it wouldn't surprise me. Checking the rest of the high rise will be a good start."

"When you say the rest...how much of it did you guys wreck?"

"Just a few floors. A lot of walls and rooms. Think we went through some support beams."

"Sounds like you had a real party. But you need to be careful man. This guy is dangerous." Hank warned him.

"I know, I know but don't worry about it. I'll be sure to take him out if he shows up again."

"Just promise to come back in one piece okay?"

"Promise." They slapped their hands together, shook on it, and then fist-bumped before going their separate ways to their respective classes.

Soon the bells ring and everybody runs except an occasional slowcoach or chatterbox.

The tunnel was like a snakeskin turned inside out, slinking into the abyss of the hillside. Whoever built it tunneled for the softest soil, not giving a damn about how straight the line was. In just meters there was no sun from behind, the dark tiles absorbing every ray. The walls are grey brick covered in graffiti. The perfect arc of the flooring is a perfect arc littered with hypodermic needles, broken bottles, and sewage with enough mud tracked in overtime to make it more like walking on a woodland path with a slight softness underfoot. It has an odor like a stagnant pond but with an undercurrent of sewage, but it's not like there are public conveniences down here. The ends had become seemingly closed off by years of leaves piling up in the autumn winds, now decomposed to rich soil and supporting much flora. Brutus, a hunched-over hairy giant of a man stalked through the tunnel with his hand trailing the wall while he crushed whatever he stepped on underneath his clawed hairy feet. It didn't hurt him. His hardened skin crushed everything easily. Nothing Brutus stepped on down here could hurt him. But The Boy....The Boy had hurt him. His skin was littered with bruises from his fight last night. A fight that had wrecked his hideout and made him flee to safety. Fortunately, the others had set up a hiding spot here ahead of time. He could rest and hide down here to recover his strength then make a plan to go kill The Boy. He stomped around the twisted and winding tunnel until he found his hiding spot and he pushed in a section of the wall and moved it aside revealing a large room The Others had set up. A little hiding spot in case something ever happened to the other one. It was filled with stolen carpeting and bedsheets and clothes and pillows. He grunted and ducked down into the room and then closed the wall back up and moved a large rock in front of the wall to prevent anyone from finding them while he rested. Brutus flopped down on the floor hugged himself as his body started to change.

Brutus was a giant to be sure. A wondrously large and strong man, with no ruth for man, woman, or beast. He had extremely long shaggy and spiky black hair with a prominent widow's peak and a larger than the normal forehead, eye ridges and brow, a unibrow, bright yellow eyes with cats irises, rows of razor-sharp teeth, a hairy body with large tufts of hair on his shoulders, elbows and the backs of his hands with long prominent claws on the end of each finger and bone-like growths growing of his knuckles. His nerves and veins were large and prominent under his skin.

But as his body changed his hair receded back down and the hair all around his body also vanished back into his body. There was a snapping of bones and ligaments while his overall body shrank back down from a little over seven feet tall down a five-foot tall man with shaved hair. His teeth changed back to normal and his forehead shrank down to normal. The spikes were pulled back into his knuckles and his claws shrank down into normal nails. A white t-shirt and long white slacks grew around his body. His eyes were the last to change a more normal dark blue with black irises.

Cade Cannon woke up screaming in pain. His body felt like he was lost in an ocean of unknowable depths of pain, swift currents, and lurking beasts. His pain was an icy wind choking the breath from his lungs and making a noose around his neck. Its savage, bitter blasts cut right to his bones and gripped his brain in its freezing claws. His heart constricted in its wake as if not sure if it should go on beating.

"HEEELLLP MEEEE! HEEELLLP ME! WHERE AM I? WHERE AM I? SOMEONE HELP ME! PLEASE! SOMEONE HEELLLP!" He screamed out as loud as he could. He tried to set up and only got halfway before he was slammed back down onto the bed and he began twitching and convulsing as his body changed again into a classically beautiful woman with large liquid brown eyes that held such an intelligence and serenity that it was impossible not to be held prisoner by them. Her cheekbones weren't especially high and her nose was a little too long to be perfect, but there was undeniable symmetry to her features and perhaps that would leave you feeling captivated. Her long black hair was long and fluid, lying gently over her shoulder bones, kissing her soft skin in a bun each day, but in my mind it was long and fluid, lying gently over her shoulder bones, kissing her soft skin.

Her dress covers her shoulders halfway and flows down into a stylish round neckline. It's a relaxed fit which removes the focus from her breasts, but without making it look sloppy. Her arms have been covered completely. The sleeves are a tight, but comfortable fit from top to bottom, allowing for enough movement while still looking stylish. The dress' waist is thin, but it's a tight fit. A small, elegant belt helps accentuate her waist without being too much. Below the waist the dress widens and has a gathered style. The dress reaches to just above her ankles and is slightly longer at the sides and back of the dress. She's wearing ballerina flats, a strange, yet seemingly perfect choice. To top it all off she's wearing an ornate necklace and small, stylish earrings.

Terri Warren's eyes snapped open and she sighed. "That is enough out of you young man." She gritted her teeth and tried her best to bare the pain.

Her arms ached. No matter how she moved them, they were impossibly numb. Someone could cut them off and she wouldn’t feel a thing. She was exhausted. "Owowowowowow ouch. This hurts. That Boy was strong. Does anyone know his name? I don't mean The Bruiser I mean his real name? No? I suppose that is the reason for the mask and hood." She sighed and rested her head back. "This pain...I am not good with pain. I am passing the ball to you Max." She changed her body again. Her dress changing into a finely tailored suit and her flowing hair changed into a blonde ponytail and slicked back hair. Her feminine form became male again as she took the form of a handsome young man.

Where his eyes were the green of fresh dew glinting in the sunlight off a leaf of green emerald. His lips were pale and thin and his nose slender and rounded. A prominent jaw curved gracefully around and the strength of his neck showed in the twining cords of muscle that shaped his entire body; strong arms, bold thighs and calves, a firm chest and abdomen. He was an Adonis among the other men who each pale in comparison. One look and both women and men swooned at the sight of him no matter their sexual preferences and one word passed from his lips had even the straightest of men flushing shades of red that no one ever knew was naturally possible.

Maxwell Meadows sighed as he sat up. "Gee. Thanks. A little warning first next time alright?" He groaned and crossed his arms. "Everything hurts but I can handle it for now. I am calling first dibs on a bubblebath first chance we get though."

Dear Diary

If I can think of one word to describe my whole life then it'll be an adjustment. First, it was with having Esper abilities, second is coping with the fact that my dad's gone, then there's having a brother named Hiro. Whose awesome btw. It did take me some time to try out the word brother, heck I sometimes wonder if mom even expected to have a son? But through time, it wasn't awkward having a new member of the family. I do wish dad were here to witness it sometimes.

As of recently, I'm handling a new adjustment. Moving into a new city. It's called Serenity City, named after the hero who died a while back. She was my muse, the reason I became a hero. So finding out that she died just brought back some bad memories. So now I'm Serenity's newest resident and I'm determined to maybe one day live up to the same ideals that Serenity followed.

It won't be an easy task that's for sure, but as long as I have my family with me then I can overcome anything.

Flannery

Valhalla Erikson wrote:

Dear Diary

If I can think of one word to describe my whole life then it'll be an adjustment. First, it was with having Esper abilities, second is coping with the fact that my dad's gone, then there's having a brother named Hiro. Whose awesome btw. It did take me some time to try out the word brother, heck I sometimes wonder if mom even expected to have a son? But through time, it wasn't awkward having a new member of the family. I do wish dad were here to witness it sometimes.

As of recently, I'm handling a new adjustment. Moving into a new city. It's called Serenity City, named after the hero who died a while back. She was my muse, the reason I became a hero. So finding out that she died just brought back some bad memories. So now I'm Serenity's newest resident and I'm determined to maybe one day live up to the same ideals that Serenity followed.

It won't be an easy task that's for sure, but as long as I have my family with me then I can overcome anything.

Flannery

WOOHOOO! Hell yeah man starting the story off with the Animality Arc! Super stoked for this man! Excellent job bringing everyone here back!

There were three knocks on the door before it opened. "Hi honey! Are you ready for school?" Jennifer Kingston asked her daughter. She was around her daughter's height(5'4) with equally pale skin. Upon first glance nobody would assume mother/daughter but more like an older/younger sibling, much to Jennifer's embarrassment; while most mothers her age would be flattered by that, she'd be just as embarrassed as her daughter. Her petite frame does come with perks, such as the ability to get the drop on criminals and to be out of sight when need be. Even with the police body armor.  she's still capable of packing quite a punch, a fact that notorious Esper criminal The Mountain can testify. Jennifer had told the kids that this wasn't even the SWAT Armor!

The Khrysos Corporation took police safety very seriously and had made some vast improvements over the past ten years.

"Already to go mom!" Flannery Kingston pushed her chair back and a shelf opened up in her dresser and her diary closed itself, latched itself and floated into the dresser and it proceeded to close itself. Flannery Kingston stood up and her backpack flew to her hand while the chair slid itself back into place. She, like her mother, was a redhead. Her hair reminds people of a burnt orange sunset over Camra Bay, it was warm and it tumbled over her shoulders like rusty water, making her look as if her whole head was on fire. Much like her mother, she's on the petite side. Yet. Her clothes were snug and fashionable. You'd never guess that it was lined with kevlar throughout. The same with the backpack. Same with Hiro's clothes and backpack. Jennifer called it caution and they weren't going to argue with their mother.

Jennifer leaped across the room and scooped up her daughter in a hug. "You are going to love Serenity High! They've made a lot of improvements this year and their technology is nearing the university level now!" She set Flannery down. "This is a fresh start honey and you and Hiro are going to do great here! You are going to flourish I just know it!"

"Flourish like flowers mom!" Flannery promised and high fived her. "So are we taking the bus or?"

"Oh no. This is your first day at Serenity High. I'm driving!"

Downstairs, Hiro Kingston was already finishing off his pancackes while watching videos on his holo-phone with the sound turned down. His usually wavy unkempt black hair had been combed back for his first day to make a good impression. He is wearing an unbuttoned black blazer over a black-trimmed cream sweater, dark horn rimmed glasses, blue jeans, and brown shoes. He was shorter than his sister with a skinny body. A fact that stemmed from that woman he used to live starving him all the time while she either wallowed in her sorrows or put him through hell. There was rarely a middle ground with her. But when she did find the middle ground....when she had actually acted like a mother....that was one of the few times he would see the light come back to her eyes and he could almost feel someone else trying to claw her way out of a deep dark pit before the madness would take her again.

Hiro did not despise his birth mother nor would he make excuses for her. He just wanted the doctors to help her. He wanted them to make her better. To balance her out so that she could stay in the light. So that he could see that light come back to her eyes again.

He wanted her to be his mother again.

Hiro pushed the thoughts away and sipped his milk while he watched the video of the mysterious Serenity City Bruiser in action.

The video was found footage captured on a holo phone at night by a hidden man while the action was going down. As far as Hiro could tell from the footage, some thugs in masks and all black outfits were dragging some people out of a store towards a truck while screaming at everyone to stay put. The men had bags of stolen diamonds and valuables. Obviously they were taking the civilians as hostages in case of police interference.

"NOBODY FOLLOW US DO YOU HEAR ME? NOBODY FOLLOWS US! ANYBODY TRIES AND THEY GET IT!" The apparent ringleader yelled out while threatening the people inside of the store with a blaster.

"Helllp! Help us somebody please!"

"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" Another one of the thugs yelled out while shoving his blaster against his face. One of them ran over to their track and opened it up.

"Load them up!"

The thugs started shoving the civilians inside of their truck when one of them noticed the phone recording them. "Hey! Who the fuck are you? What the fuck are you doing?"

"Ohhhhhhh shit." The recorder whispered.

The thug pulled out his blaster and started racing towards him. The footage turned around as the civilian obviously started running away but then there was a booming sound behind him and the thug was heard yelling out. The phone turned back around just in time to see the thug being thrown over to the truck by a man in a blue leather hoodie, black jeans, boots and red leather gloves. His face couldn't be seen with his back turned but Hiro noticed a light coming from it. The Bruiser then rushed down the thugs, grabbed one and slammed him down to the ground then he punched the next one. Hiro noticed from his posture that The Bruiser had boxing training. This was confirmed with the fast jab that knocked out another man. One of them managed to get his blaster up and fired on the hero with a concentrated beam. The Bruiser blocked it with his hands and there was a sizzling noise as the beam burned through his gloves but The Bruiser remained standing. He pushed forward and grabbed the blaster and then shoved the thug backwards through the air. The blaster blew up in his hands while the thug smashed into a bench. Bruiser dropped the blaster's remains, looked at his hands and shrugged.

The truck started up and Bruiser quickly grabbed onto the door, threw it off and climbed into the truck. There was the sounds of struggles and flashes of light and then the thugs were tossed out of the truck and the engine turned off. Bruiser hopped out of the truck, walked around the truck and yanked the back door off of it and motioned the civilians out. "Come on out! It's okay now! I've got you!"

His voice was filtered obviously to hide his identity. A smart move. Hiro couldn't help but notice the two holes burned in the front of the jacket though, not that they seemed to bother him any.

Bruiser helped the civilians out of the truck and they ran back to the store. Bruiser looked around and then he saw the civilian watching him and Hiro got a look at his mask. On top of the hoodie he had on a NW Aqua-X Cool Balaclava Full Mask and a Blue Ghost Cyber BOT LED light Robot Mask. Clearly he was going the extra mile to hide his identity. He saluted the civilian and then leaped on top of a rooftop and then another one across the street.

Hiro set his fork down and sipped his milk while he began analyzing and deducing this guys identity.

"So is it me or was he showing off a bit?" Flannery asked from behind Hiro with a smile.

"Maybe just a little." Hiro chuckled. He turned around and embraced his sister. "Good morning sis."

"Morning yourself baby bro."

They parted and performed their secret handshake which consisted of placing their palms together, folding their thumbs over their hands, pulling back, high fiving, slapping the backs of their hands together, high fiving up and down and then fist bumping before saluting each other.

Flannery sat down and her drink levitated over the table and into her hand. "So what do you think? Of him?"

"Oh well, yeah, I think he might've been showing off a little bit but you can't deny that he isn't efficient. He took those guys apart." Hiro scratched his neck as he thought out loud. "He's a brick for sure but he hasn't had his powers for very long if he is still being surprised by his durability as evidenced from his surprise at the fact that the laser gun didn't harm him. Despite this he has enough muscle control that he isn't constantly breaking everything with his super strength. Considering his costume is mostly normal clothes he either hasn't gotten around to crafting a proper costume for himself or he's poor. Considering his posing when he's fighting he's definitely had boxing training so he either picked it up from a relative, television or at a gym. I get the feeling that he is young and probably in high school. Most likely someone on a sports team." Hiro shrugged. "Course, that's all theory right now. Besides he's helping people."

"While I would prefer that he did things legally, I'm glad he's around helping us out. Rookie or not he's still saving lives and that's the most important part." Jennifer replied as she sat down with her children and ate her breakfast. She chewed her cereal and flipped through her phone until she found the image she was looking for. She chewed and swallowed her food before continuing. "Anyway, he's not the problem. This guy is." She set down her phone and a hologram of a tall hairy beast of a man appeared in front of them. "This is Brutus The Animal. He is responsible for mauling at least ten victims that we know of. He had recently abducted four Serenity High Cheerleaders. He had attempted to murder them as well but The Bruiser stopped him and freed the girls. Following this they fought through a high-rise in the slums and, I have been informed, basically demolished it." Jennifer changed the picture to the high rise, which was now surrounded by police tape, and true to her words the building looked like a wrecking ball had been taken to it. There were large holes in the outside walls and entrance and a crater in the ground in front of it.

"Who won?" Flannery asked.

Jennifer shrugged, sipped her coffee, and then set it back down. "We're not sure yet. Neither of them was found around the building premises so we're assuming the fight was inconclusive. Evidence has been found of a fire and burns marks on walls and the rubble so we can assume one of them has pyrokinesis to go with their super strength. Listen to me. If you see this lunatic running around, do not engage. Find a place to hide, call the police and let us take care of it...but, if you must defend yourselves, remember your self-defense training and hit him hard and fast. Go for the vital points and fight from a distance. Understood?"

"Understood mom."

"You got it mom."

"Good." She turned off the holograms. "Now onto a lighter note, who's ready for their first day at Serenity High?"

"WHOO!"

The kids finished their breakfast, washed off, washed the dishes, cleaned their teeth and followed their mom into the garage. Jennifer pulled out the beeper and the cruiser came alive again and levitated into the air. The doors slid open and the kids got in the back with Jennifer getting in the driver's seat. The garage door opened up and Jennifer turned on the engine and slid in the key and the car backed out and the garage door closed and they were on their way to school.

On the way there Hiro and Flannery took the time to enjoy the view of the streets around them.

"Man this is a cool city. We really hit the jackpot with this move mom."

"That's the spirit, Flannery! You guys are going to love it here!"

She slowed down the cruiser at a red light and waited patiently for it to change.

"Uhhh, can't police officers run red lights mom?" Hiro asked her.

"Some do. I don't. We need to set examples after all." Jennifer pointed out.

"Good point."

The light turned green and they continued driving around Serenity City and they took in the sights as they drove to Serenity High.

Upon finally arriving, they drove down a long bridge and through a checkpoint and then they were greeted with Serenity Science HighSchool. It was a marvel. The school was a gorgeous five level office building and that was just the entrance. There were multiple buildings around it as well making it look like an entire college campus instead of just a simple highschool!

"Woah." Flannery and Hiro gasped simultaneously.

"Cool huh?" Jennifer beamed. "Take it all in kids because this is going to be your new school. Now I want you kids to have a nice long fun day here. Get settled into your classes, start making friend, read the class syllabi and form some study groups. Do you know your schedules?"

"Got them in our books and phones mom!"

"Alright, you kids have a good day alright?" Jennifer opened the doors and they bounded out to start their day. They were almost at the door when turned on the sirens for a second and then switched them back off. "Ah ah ah! You forgot something!"

The siblings turned around and waved goodbye to her. "Love you mom!"

"Love you too kids! That's a copy!" She waved goodbye to her kids and drove away.

"You ready for this?" Flannery asked Hiro.

"I think school better get ready for us." They fist bumped and they walked into the school.

There were crowds and crowds of excited kids from all walks of life chattering excitedly as they walked the halls of the school to get to their classes. Hiro brushed against a few of them and found his mind slipping away as he received flashes of another life. Of their lives. The world around him would suddenly vanish and he'd see a moment in their lives from their perspective.

A young man spray painting a wall in an alleyway with his friends.

A young girl copying words from a webpage for her homework before erasing it and starting over.

A young man briefly considering shoplifting but then stopping when he sees a picture of Serenity and putting the object back.

An online argument between a student and someone else devolving into some rather harsh language.

Hiro stopped and rubbed his head as the world came back to him. Flannery sensed his distress and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hey? Hey are you okay bro?"

"I'm fine. Just...the flashes are kicking in again."

"Oh shit. Anything bad this time?"

"N-no. Worst I saw was graffiti tagging and an online argument. Nothing too bad so far. Just wish I would get some warning when that happens. It can be a bit of a mind screw is all I'm saying. You know what I need? I need spider sense."

"Oh trust me. I've been picking up all kinds of vibes since we walked in. They've been washing all over me. How about you?"

Hiro took a second to relax and opened his mind to the world around him and let his Chemosensation Mutation, often called the Empathic Mutation, to go to work as he opened his heart to the world around him. The Empathic Mutation develops in the cerebral cortex and it allows the super utilizing it to interpret the neurochemical activity of others to develop an emotional connection. Compounding mutations allow the Alternate to use this connection to exert control over the other's emotions. Empathy is the ability to feel the emotions and desires of others via a neurochemical connection. The Alternate could predict how a person could react due to how they feel at the moment, or to figure out why someone does what they do. The Alternate may be able to determine the presence of unseen people within their immediate proximity as well, because one with this ability can sense the presence of emotions. The evolved human may consider their ability a liability due to the prevalence of pain and suffering in society, and the dominance of these aspects over pleasant emotions. With training, the user may learn to 'shut out' random emotions they wish not to feel, or concentrate on specific individuals.

Telepathic Empathy is the ability to perceive emotions, but with the emotions expressed as though they were thoughts. One with this ability can read emotions of any kind, like a normal empath, but they must be expressed through verbal thought wave manifestations (the subject must think something like “I’m so mad!” or “I can’t believe she did that!”). The user can project emotions in the same fashion; instead of projecting emotions (like normal Empathy) the user can project thoughts which convey a certain emotion, and the like.

Hiro had both variations of the ability along with a form of extrasensory perception, which he described as flashes, that came to him whenever he'd make physical contact with people. It wasn't much but he could see brief flashes of their lives on contact and he would receive a surge of the emotion they would be feeling in that moment. It wasn't all bad. He'd used it help them track down criminals in the past but he would like to receive a warning on occasion before he did so.

Right now though he was letting all of the emotions around them flow into him and it felt good. Nothing weird around, just a perfectly normal happy healthy high school filled to the brim with optimistic young super geniuses. Hiro grinned. "That's better. Thanks Flannery."

"Anytime bro. Ready for school?"

"Let's do it!"

SuperKamiGuy1 wrote:

WOOHOOO! Hell yeah man starting the story off with the Animality Arc! Super stoked for this man! Excellent job bringing everyone here back!

Got the ball rolling in the short story by introducing Chimeras so its only fair :glasses:

Valhalla Erikson wrote:

Got the ball rolling in the short story by introducing Chimeras so its only fair

Hell yeah man!  :glasses:

"Alright just get through first period." Matt told himself. "Take it one class at a time. Just get through first period without falling asleep and you'll be good to go." He adjusted his backpack and let the good vibes of the students flow into him. Another quirk of his powers, besides the superhuman strength and toughness, was what he'd taken to calling his 'Goodness Sense'. The ability, as Matt understood it, gave him the ability to constantly sense the positive energy in others. He wasn't entirely sure of its range, since he was surrounded by the positive vibes everywhere he went, but it was what allowed him to sense the kidnapped girls in the building the other night. Thank God it did too. He got there just in time to lay the smackdown on that animal.

And wreck the building. But that was besides the point.

"Better watch it fuzzball. I'm gonna kick your teeth in next time we meet."

In the meantime, he'd have plenty of time to come up with a battle plan to fight him. He'd discuss it with Hank around lunch.

Matt was approaching his astrophysics class when he accidentally brushed against Hiro. "Hey sorry man!" He apologized.

Hiro's eyes widened as he saw himself clashing with The Animal in a derelict high rise building.

"Come on fuzzball that all you got?!" The Bruiser asked while picking himself up out of rubble and then racing forward to grapple with the giant snarling beast of a man. Jesus, seeing the hologram was one thing. Looking up at the monster face to face was something completely different.
He looked like a rabid musclebound werewolf stuck in mid transformation.

Hiro saw himself, as The Bruiser, slamming into The Animal in a football tackle and carrying him through a wall and into the room behind it. He fell down on the animal and they began throwing hands before the vision ended.

Hiro looked back at him as the student proceeded into his classroom. He noticed Hiro staring at him and he smiled and waved. "Sorry about that! My bad man! You okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah it's cool man!" He awkwardly waved back.

The student stopped in place. "First day jitters? Don't worry guys, it gets easier after the first day. You're gonna love it here. Catch you later." He hurried to his class.

"Uuuhhhh, right. Sure."

"Did you see something? What did you see?" Flannery asked her brother.

(Flannery...we just met Bruiser.)

"Walk with me." Flannery told him as they hurried to their own class among the waves of students while communicating telepathically so as they could speak about their recent revelation without anybody else hearing them. (Bruiser? Are you sure?)

(It's him. It was only for a moment but when I brushed past that guy, on total accident I mean, I got a flash vision and I saw him fighting The Animal. I mean, I got a first person view of it too!)

(Oh wow. What happened?! What did it look like? Are you okay?) Flannery asked him excitedly.

(One at a time sis.) Hiro chuckled. (Okay, so, get this. As far as I could tell, they were fighting in the high rise like in the police report and they were wrecking the place. I can confirm that they went right through at least two walls. The vision started off with Bruiser picking himself up out of some rubble, challenging the beast and then smashing it through a wall in return and they started exchanging punches.)

(And? What happened then?)

(The vision ended there. I'd need longer contact to see the rest. As for Animality, he was like a big snarling werewolf that hadn't completely finished transforming yet...and I mean big. Huge. Like, he might've been taller than Mountain. I think he might've been uglier too.)

Flannery and Hiro giggled quietly at that.

(It sounds like a real nightmare. Are you alright?)

(I'm fine. I've seen scarier things than him.) Hiro assured her. (Anyway. I'm worried about the kid. Fighting someone like that couldn't have been easy on him.)

(Good point. We'll find him later and talk to him if we get the chance. It could really help us close the case if we get a real description of what it's like to fight the big guy.)

(Wait, do you mean us an in us or us as in mom and the police?)

(Yes.) Flannery smirked.

(Smart aleck.)

They arrived at their first class, AP Chemistry, and Hiro placed his hands on the door and turned it to step inside.

(Hey Flannery? Should we tell mom we found the vigilante?)

Now this is quite a pickle for the redhead. She has discovered the vigilante's identity, courtesy of her awesome bro Hiro. However, clearly without said vigilante's knowledge and such information could play a factor as to the vigilante trusting in his newfound partners in superheroics. Yet she doesn't want to lie to her mother about that discovery, she'd rather face a legion of Goblins. Even though she'd waste them all. But the crafty redhead always have a 3rd option.

(Not yet. First we form a friendship with the guy then gradually let him in on his hero activities. Once he finds us cool enough then we let him know that we have a friend within the police force that could help us out.)

(Meet the parents scenario?)

(I want to word it in a manner that you wont consider, phrasing :P  )

(Pfft. From the way you'd drool over Sabrina's ViewTube videos, I don't think he's your type)

(I DON'T DROOL!!)

Maxwell remained in charge until the pain finally subsided. "Okay that is much better."

He relaxed and Arabella Kensington took over. His body shrank back down to the form of a fit athletic young lady. Standing 5'11" tall, this short haired bronze skinned woman has an excited feel about her. She has a beautiful face with a square jaw, a stubby nose, and large lips. Her green and blue eyes are rounded and she has thin eyebrows. She is wearing a sporty tank top and yoga pants. Her bare arms look like they've been honed from hours in the gym with the well defined musculature of an experienced rock climber that grants her incredible grip strength even among her 'peers'. She yawned loudly and looked around. Her wide eyed expression gradually giving way to a look of disgust as she realized how cramped the room was around her. She was mortified. It felt like the walls were closing in on her. It felt like she couldn't breathe. Her heart rate began to speed up and so did her breathing. She grabbed the door and moved it aside as quickly as she possibly could.

"Okay! No. Nononono! No. This is not my scene!" She grabbed a bag that had multiple ID's and wallets with smaller bags of money inside of it and climbed out. She swiftly scaled the wall and pushed the door closed before resuming her climb upwards.

"Ugh! This is SO not my scene guys! I don't like ceilings or roofs! I don't like being down on the ground! I need to be high up!"

She swiftly crawled across the ceiling of the tunnel until she made it to the exit where she grabbed onto the lip and flipped up onto the grass. She breathed a sigh of relief as she beheld the clear blue skies above her. She took a big whiff of the clean clear air and exhaled.

Arabella burst out laughing and she began dancing around. "Oh MAN that is so much better! Seriously, I know I can climb better than anyone in the world, but wow I do not like roofs! The sky! I need the sky above my head! Clear beautiful skies! I love it! Perfect climbing weather!"

She laughed and ran over to a random street light and she leaped onto it, slapped her palm against it, swung around it and then she climbed up to the top and took a good look around the park.

"Oh man look at all this stuff! I love parks! Alright where is it huh? Where is it? Where's the biggest tree?! I need to be high up!" She looked around the park until she finally found the biggest tree around and she hopped off of the light and took off running for it. Because dammit she hadn't been in control for a long time! She had to get her climbing fix in!

Arabella ran over to a bench and vaulted over it. She hit the ground running and didn't slow down for anything. Not even a random man in her way. She simply leaped into the air and leapfrogged right over him! "I LIKE YOUR SUIT!" She complimented while running off.

The man watched her run away for a second before shrugging and continuing on his way whistling happily.

She ran over to a jungle gym and swiftly climbed to the top and leaped over to a slide, grabbed onto the side, climbed up to the top, dropped down and slid down the slide and she resumed running across the park until she reached the Coast Douglas fir. Arabella leaped onto it, landed on it palms first and she began excitedly climbing up the side of the tree like a spider. All 99.4 meters of it. She climbed up further and further and further until she finally reached the tippy top of the tree and she hung out there with one hand and both feet on the side of the tree.

"Ohhhh yeeeaaaah! This is what I'm talking about baby! Nice and high up! The way God intended me to be!" She put a hand over her head and looked across the park to the city beyond it. "Damn this is amazing! Just look at that view!"

The pair entered the chemistry class and took notice of the various students who were also settling into their morning class. There was a wide variety of students inside in varying states of alertness. Some were getting a last bit of shut eye before class started, some were happily chatting among themselves, some were reading books, some were scrambling to finish their homework.

A pair that caught Flannery's eyes were a pair of gorgeous young twin girls reading notes together at the same time in perfect synch. One of them was sitting down in her chair and the other was bent over and looking at the notes in her sister's hand.

They looked exactly the same and even dressed the same. They had the same waist length ponytail, the same dark hair in front of their eyes, the same dark blue eyes, the same pink vest, the same pink gloves with the same gold bracelets, the same pink skirt and the same ripped blue jeans with more blue filling in the holes.

"Okay so lets see now. Double checking here. If we combine the splitting schemes for the 2s and 2p orbitals, we can predict bond order in all of the diatomic molecules and ions composed of elements in the first complete row of the periodic table. Remember that only the valence orbitals of the atoms need be considered; as we saw in the cases of lithium hydride and dilithium, the inner orbitals remain tightly bound and retain their localized atomic character. We now describe examples of systems involving period 2 homonuclear diatomic molecules, such as N2, O2, and F2.

four key points to remember when drawing molecular orbital diagrams:

The number of molecular orbitals produced is the same as the number of atomic orbitals used to create them (the "law of conservation of orbitals").
As the overlap between two atomic orbitals increases, the difference in energy between the resulting bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals increases.
When two atomic orbitals combine to form a pair of molecular orbitals, the bonding molecular orbital is stabilized about as much as the antibonding molecular orbital is destabilized.
The interaction between atomic orbitals is greatest when they have the same energy.

We illustrate how to use these points by constructing a molecular orbital energy-level diagram for F2. We use the diagram in part (a) in Figure 9.8.19.8.1; the n = 1 orbitals (σ1s and σ1s*) are located well below those of the n = 2 level and are not shown. As illustrated in the diagram, the σ2s and σ2s* molecular orbitals are much lower in energy than the molecular orbitals derived from the 2p atomic orbitals because of the large difference in energy between the 2s and 2p atomic orbitals of fluorine. The lowest-energy molecular orbital derived from the three 2p orbitals on each F is σ2pzσ2pz and the next most stable are the two degenerate orbitals, π2pxπ2px and π2pyπ2py. For each bonding orbital in the diagram, there is an antibonding orbital, and the antibonding orbital is destabilized by about as much as the corresponding bonding orbital is stabilized. As a result, the σ⋆2pzσ2pz⋆ orbital is higher in energy than either of the degenerate π⋆2pxπ2px⋆ and π⋆2pyπ2py⋆ orbitals. We can now fill the orbitals, beginning with the one that is lowest in energy.

Each fluorine has 7 valence electrons, so there are a total of 14 valence electrons in the F2 molecule. Starting at the lowest energy level, the electrons are placed in the orbitals according to the Pauli principle and Hund’s rule. Two electrons each fill the σ2s and σ2s* orbitals, 2 fill the σ2pzσ2pz orbital, 4 fill the two degenerate π orbitals, and 4 fill the two degenerate π* orbitals, for a total of 14 electrons. To determine what type of bonding the molecular orbital approach predicts F2 to have, we must calculate the bond order. According to our diagram, there are 8 bonding electrons and 6 antibonding electrons, giving a bond order of (8 − 6) ÷ 2 = 1. Thus F2 is predicted to have a stable F–F single bond, in agreement with experimental data." They read off of the notes at the same time. "Sounds about right. We're good to go."

As they got closer, Flannery took notice of expertly drawn Molecular Orbital Energy-Level Diagrams for Homonuclear Diatomic Molecules.(a) For F2, with 14 valence electrons (7 from each F atom), all of the energy levels except the highest, σ⋆2pzσ2pz⋆ are filled. This diagram shows 8 electrons in bonding orbitals and 6 in antibonding orbitals, resulting in a bond order of 1. (b) For O2, with 12 valence electrons (6 from each O atom), there are only 2 electrons to place in the (π⋆npx,π⋆npy)(πnpx⋆,πnpy⋆) pair of orbitals. Hund’s rule dictates that one electron occupies each orbital, and their spins are parallel, giving the O2 molecule two unpaired electrons. This diagram shows 8 electrons in bonding orbitals and 4 in antibonding orbitals, resulting in a predicted bond order of 2.

The twins caught them staring and smiled. "Looks like we've got some new students." The sitting twin said to her sister. "I'm gonna say hi to them. You can take a nap if you want."

"Oh thank God. Yeah. I'm getting tired just reading these." She held her twins hand and then she slowly faded from sight and seemed to flow into the other girl! It was then that the two realized that she wasn't a twin at all. She was a duplicate! Self-Duplication (also called Replication, Cloning, or Copying) is the ability to produce copies of oneself. Someone with this ability can create a number (could be anything from 1 to 500) of clones of themselves. These clones have all of the memories of the original, and are an exact replica.

She smiled and offered her hand. "Cool trick huh? I'm Summer Samson. Welcome to Chemistry Boot Camp!"

Matt took his seat in the back of his class and he began reviewing his notes. They had a big test today and he had to review while he still had time.

(Urgh, of all days to have a test, it has to be the one after a big fight. I'm not sorry of course. Those girls got to go home to their families because I kept hairball busy. But come on! Throw me a bone here!)

He smiled at his little inward joke for a minute and he continued looking over his notes. But then his smile faded as his mind drifted back to the case at hand.

(Heeeyyy....why was he targeting the girls? I mean...I could be wrong about this but fuzzball's previous victims, the ones they could identify anyway, all had criminal affiliations right?)

He set down his notes and put his right hand on his cheek and his left hand on his bicep.

(Crap. Okay, okay, real quick. I'll look it up reeaaaal quick. Just a minute. That should be fine right?)

He took out his cell phone and quickly typed in the name of one of the identified victims. Callousface Sandra. Residential mortgage fraud in the fifth degree. Placing a false bomb or hazardous substance in the first degree. Criminal sale of a firearm in the third degree. Loitering in the first degree. Criminal usury in the first degree. Promoting prison contraband in the first degree. Found mauled in a broken down shack.

(Yeah, that's a criminal alright. What about the others?)

He typed in another name. John Delaney. Criminal sale of marijuana in the third degree. Impairing the integrity of a pair-mutuel betting system in the second degree. Gaming fraud in the second degree. Making an apparently sworn false statement in the second degree. Rent gouging in the second degree. Tampering with a consumer product in the first degree. Found mauled in the same location as Sandra. He looked up a few more names and then turned off the phone and returned to his notes.

(Okay. So. At least five of the identified remains of his victims in Serenity City were men and women with previously known criminal affiliations and long rap sheets. That doesn't mean that he hasn't been targeting innocent people but his m.o. has apparently been to target criminals so far.....so why go after the girls? I know Beverly Parker at least. She's never done anything illegal that I know of. Christina Chamberlain? Samia Stuart? Georgina Ortega? Why target them either?)

He set down his notes and put his head in his hands. It was too early for this and he had a test in a few minutes.

(Helena. I need to talk to Helena. If anybody knows what's up with the girls, it's her.)

"Hello Class!"

Matt's head jerked up and he saw Professor Mary Kim Martinson, 31, dancing into class with piles of test papers in her hands. She is tall and has a wide-hipped build. Her skin is chocolate-brown and she died her hair pink at some point. She has high cheekbones and wide feet. Her wardrobe is tight and she is married to Professor Claire Viola Martinson, the AP Chemistry Professor. So the students generally tried to stay on both their good sides.

"Who's ready for test day?!" She sang out with a big smile on her face.

(Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge!)

One student, Landen Lee, raised his hand up. "Is this open note ma'am?"

"Open note tests are for the weak. You'll never learn that way kids. I'll tell you what those Landen, you can hand out the tests for me."

"Okay ma'am." He stood up and took the papers and walked around the classroom handing out the papers to the various students while they put their stuff away. "Alright then. Bring it on." Matt said while laying out his pencils.

Once all of the papers were handed out Professor Martinson clapped her hands together. "Alright kids you know the rules. You have the rest of the hour to work on the test but when the bell rings its pencils down. If you finish ahead of time, turn your paper over and wait for the end of class to hand it in please. Good luck everybody!" She took her seat and smiled as the kids began working on the test.

I. VIRIAL EQUILIBRIUM

Consider a gas cloud comprised of hydrogen. The mass M = 10 6 M , radius R = 50 pc, and temperature T = 10 K. The energy from the gas comes from assuming an ideal gas law. Explain it below:

II. SIMPLE STELLAR MODEL

(a) What is the mass M of the star (in units ofM)?

(b) What is the free-fall timeτfffor this star, in suitable units (s, h, years. . . )?

(c) Find the pressureP(r)

(d) Find the central pressurePc

III. DEFINE PLANCK TIME

IV. DEFINE CHANDRASEKHAR MASS

V. SHORT PROBLEMS IN GRAVITY

(a)Find the gravitational acceleration due tot he Sun at the location of the Earth’s orbit(i.e.,at a distance of 1AU)

(b) Show that for a small mass, m, orbiting a much larger mass, M , in an eccentric orbit, that the area swept out per unit time by a line joining the large and small mass is a constant around the orbit (i.e., Kepler’s 2nd law).

(c) The orbits of several stars have been measured orbiting the massive black hole near the center of our Galaxy. One of them has an orbital period of 15 years, and the orbital radius is 0.12 second of arc (as seen from the Earth). Take the distance to the Galactic center to be 8 kpc. Compute the mass of the black hole, starting from F = ma. Express your answer in units of the Sun’s mass (M�). (Assume that Newton’s law of gravity is applicable for orbits sufficiently far from a black hole, and that the orbiting star satisfies this condition.

VI. GEOMETRIC AND PHYSICAL OPTICS

(a) Find the theoretical limiting angular resolution of a commercial 8­inch (diameter) optical telescope being used in visible (at λ = 5000˚A = 500 nm = 5 × 10−5 cm = 5 × 10−7 m).

(b)A large ground­based telescope has an effective focal length of 10 meters. Two astronomi­ cal objects are separated by 1 arc second in the sky. How far apart will the two corresponding images be in the focal plane?

(c)A collimated light beam propagating in water is incident on the surface (air/water inter­ face) at an angle θwater with respect to the surface normal. If the index of refraction of water is n = 1.3, find an expression for the angle of the light once it emerges from the water into the air, θair. What is the critical angle, i.e., θwater = θcrit, such that the light will not emerge from the water?

VII. SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS

(a)Use the Bohr model of the atom to compute the wavelength of the transition from the n = 100 to n = 99 levels. [Useful relation: the wavelength of Lα (n = 2 to n = 1 transition) is 1216˚A.]

(b)A galaxy moves directly away from us with speed v, and the wavelength of its Hα line is observed to be 6784A˚. The rest wavelength of Hα is 6565˚A. Find v.

(c)A star is at a distance from the Earth of 300 pc. Find its parallax angle, π.

VIII. LUMINOSITY AND MAGNITUDES

(a)A particular star has an absolute magnitude M = ­7. If this star is observed in a galaxy that is at a distance of 3 Mpc, what will its apparent magnitude be? What is the distance modulus to this galaxy?

(b)The differential luminosity from a star, ΔL, with an approximate blackbody spectrum, is given by:

(Oh thank God. At least it doesn't look too hard.) Matt mused to himself with amusement. He twirled his pencil and got to work.

Matt twirled his pencil, gripped it lightly between his fingers and he got to work on the test.

Matt finished the test and then he checked his worked and then he checked it again. The third check was just to make sure he'd signed his name. Satisfied that everything was correct and in its place, he set his pencil down and walked to the front of the class to hand his paper in.

"Gooood morning Matthew! Did you sleep well?"

"Like a rock ma'am." He handed in his test. "All yours."

She looked over the paper. "Fantastic work Matt. Feel free to take the rest of class to rest."

"Thank you." He smiled and walked back to his desk, sat down and rested his eyes for the rest of the period.

As she shook their hands, Hiro's psychometry brought about another vision. He saw a flash of Summer and her clones hanging out together in a Dojo. It was hard to tell which one was real. One group of Summers was practicing karate with other Summers around the dojo practicing various other martial arts with a few other Summers sitting outside reading textbooks on various subjects. It gave Hiro pause for a moment as he pondered how this training with all of the clones could work but then he remembered Summer speaking with her clone and the two of them reviewing the notes together before she reabsorbed the clone back into herself. That was when it clicked for him. When she reabsorbed the clone she likely reabsorbed their knowledge as well. Judging by the training and reading she'd done in the Dojo, she could use them to do a ton of physical training with them while the others studied her various school subjects and when she was done she would absorb all of them back into herself along with all of their collective knowledge they'd gained! It was brilliant! Utterly brilliant! She could compress hours or days of studying into a single hour by dividing the studying among all of her clones.

Flannery read this knowledge from his mind and she was equally impressed. That had to be one of the most genius uses of replication she'd ever heard of!

"Happy to be here Summer. My name's Flannery Kingston and this is my brother Hiro."

"Hello Summer. Great to meet you."

"Kingston huh? As in, Jennifer Kingston the Super Cop?" Summer asked them.

That got some attention from their classmates. Flannery giggled. "Yes, 'The Super Cop.'. We just call her mom though." Flannery joked. "Cool power btw."

"Thank you. I've been rocking replication since I was a kid and not to brag but I've gotten pretty good at it."

Dear Diary,

I've entered my first day in a genius school and so far me and my brother are making a good impression. I was a little worried that we'd become outcast or something far worse. Fortunately we are going through the day without anything Heavy. Well, outside of the fact that one of the students happen to be that infamous vigilante named Brick whose operating in Serenity. Call it a cop intuition that I've picked up from my mom but every fiber in me wanted to find out about this vigilante: who is he? what is his motivation? just how outside of the law he operates? But I wanted to do it in a manner that wouldn't alienate him. So I have the majority of the day to choose my words carefully before I meet the guy Hiro saw in his vision, and physically bumped into. If we happen to partner up, he'd most certainly be a welcome addition to my Guardian Angels website. I might even get an interview! 

Author's Note: The Guardian Angels website is a website that Flannery hosted that pay tribute to the new breed of heroes that are cropping up. Flannery doesn't use the word vigilante as she considers that a little demeaning. So far the people listed on her site have been Violet, Scion(David), and Brick.

"I can tell." Flannery grinned. "That's awesome Summer. I'd love to hear more about it later."

"Tell you what, we can exchange E-Mails after class and I can send you my notes to get you guys caught up in class and we can discuss powers too if you'd like."

(Smooooth.) Hiro thought to himself.

"Sure, I'd love that."

Professor Claire Viola Martinson, the AP Chemistry Professor, walked into class a minute after the bell to give the students time to wake up. Standing 6' 0" tall, this golden-brown skinned woman has a quick tempered feel about her. She has a triangular face with a nice chin, a well-formed nose, puffy lips, and her light purple eyes are wide. She has closely shaved orange hair. She wears pale lipstick, a subtle foundation, colourful eyeliner and green eyeshadow. She has long arms, a lean torso, and nice legs. Her whole body is a canvas for a collage of religious tattoos that she covers up when on the job. She usually wears perfectly pressed, expensive clothes that are mostly neutral-coloured but wears proper lab equipment when she's working.

"Gooood morning everybody! I'm sure you've noticed we have two new students in our class today so before we begin I would like Hiro and Flannery Kingston to come up to the front and introduce themselves."

"Actually, three." Professor Martinson looks at the door of the classroom to see another new student making her presence known. A very attractive pale-skinned girl with long black hair that is styled in a hime-cut and brown eyes, along with two curved streaks at the side of her face, brown eyes. She wears a red blazer with black trim lining the cuffs and collar, a white button-up dress shirt, a dark pleated skirt, a tie and black/grey colored stockings.

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw9QYfPq/aca60db9fda1678345a2ab07e6254114fe2c3716-hq.gif

"Apologies, am I late for class" The young lady bowed gracefully before the teacher who just smiled at the Transfer Student"Not at all. You've managed to make it, by the skin of your teeth that is. Just ensure to be even more timely in the future"

"Yes ma'am" The young lady said

"Please join Flannery and Hiro in the introduction" The Professor motioned for her to appear before the class to introduce herself, along with Hiro and Flannery.

Summer could overhear a few students whispering behind her

"Damn, check out the new girl"

"How much you want to bet they're just as big as D'Amico's?"

Author's Note: Lian Quing Shan in da house!
(Ohhh Helena I can't to see your face when you find out you missed this.) Summer applauded her entrance. "On behalf of our class, welcome to Serenity High!"

"Thank you very much! I can't wait to become friends with everyone here!"

"You'll have an easy time of it. Everyone here is super cool." Summer assured her.

(I like her. She's sunny.) Flannery told Hiro.

(Same here. She's good at making entrances too.) Hiro noted.

Lian danced across the floor and she seemed to even be gliding over it until she reached them and she stopped on her foot and she offered her hand. "Hell-o. My name is Lian Quing Shan. It's nice to meet you."

Hiro extended his own hand with a smile. "Hiro Kingston. Nice to meet you."

Now, normally, whenever Hiro touched someone's hand, he got a quick flash of their life, just a quick peek into their past and memory and he'd be able to feel a some of their emotion in that moment. That was Psychometry. That was how his power worked.

Yep. That was what would happen. Nothing too major just a quick flash.

Any second now.

What was going on?

(Sorry kids. But a lady has to have her secrets.) Lian informed Flannery and Hiro.

Hiro did a quick side glance to the class and the teacher's while keeping a casual facade on his face. Apparently none of them noticed the red eyes that were on display, for a brief second Hiro got a slight sense of uncontrollable fear the moment he gazed at them but the moment Lian's eyes returned to normal he felt more relaxed. (My apologies sometimes I cant shut off my abilities.)

(I can relate) Lian smiled warmly at Hiro then the two began their introduction.

Hiro's the first one to start things off"Hello. My name is Hiro Kingston, we've just moved to Serenity City about a week ago and...I hope to make a good impression upon each of you"

Hiro stepped back, he wasn't much on introductions.

(Did you see it, sis?)

Upon viewing the red eyes she felt a slight sharp pain inside her head. It was enough to make her slightly jolt but once the red eyes vanished the pain subsided. (Yeah, that was pretty trippy)

"My name is Flannery Kingston. (murmurs from several students were heard) Yes, relation to the infamous Super Cop that you've seen on several web videos. Who happens to be my mom" Cue to the students within the class having their minds blown at that fact. Lian, on the other hand, just glanced at Flannery with interest.

"Simple deductive reasoning of course will tell you that Hiro here is my brother and he is just the best."

Hiro laughed. "Thanks sis. Back at ya." He cleared his throat and turned his attention back to the audience. "Before you ask, let me just say that yes, all the stories you've heard about our mom are true. She's pretty awesome."

This resulted in exciting chatter from the various students in the class until the the teacher clapped her hands and snapped fingers and pointed them upwards. "Now now kids, no need to overwhelm them on their first day. There'll be plenty of time for that later. We're very happy to have you here in our class and I'm sure that Jennifer Kingston will be a great service to the SCPD."

"Mom's a hard worker. Rest assured everybody, you can sleep quietly at night knowing that she's on the job." Hiro said to everyone.

The students whooped and cheered for them until the teacher quieted them down.

"Thank you for the introductions Flannery and Hiro Kingston. Now everybody lets have a big hand for Lian Quing Shan!"

Lian stepped up and waved to everyone as the students applauded her. "Thank you, thank you. I am so happy to be here with you. Lets see, I guess I should start with my parents right? My mother is Carmella Hóng lóng* Shan and my father's name is Sammy Stryker. They're Paranormal Investigators believe it or not."

Reece raised hir hand. "Do you mean like the Detective in Castle City?"

"Exactly like that. We're actually good friends with Violet and my parents have collaborated with her on cases before. As a result of their job we've had to travel a lot. When I heard about this glorious institution I became enamored with the idea of attending. So I spent long hours working and studying to earn the right to join this fantastic astonishing academy! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to becoming friends with everyone here and continuing our education together! Thank you!"

*Red Dragon!

The students cheered and applauded her introduction and she bowed her head.
The teacher let them clap for a bit and then she calmed them down and the students returned to their desks. "Very nice to meet all of you. You're going to fit right in. We'll begin the lecture now and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask me or the students around you for assistance." She walked over to the lights, turned them off and then she turned on the holo-projector to enhance the lesson with visual examples while she gave the students the lecture on Chemical Kinetics Rate Laws.

Chemical kinetics, also known as reaction kinetics, the branch of physical chemistry that is concerned with understanding the rates of chemical reactions. It is to be contrasted with thermodynamics, which deals with the direction in which a process occurs but in itself tells nothing about its rate. Chemical kinetics includes investigations of how different experimental conditions can influence the speed of a chemical reaction and yield information about the reaction's mechanism and transition states, as well as the construction of mathematical models that also can describe the characteristics of a chemical reaction.

In 1864, Peter Waage and Cato Guldberg pioneered the development of chemical kinetics by formulating the law of mass action, which states that the speed of a chemical reaction is proportional to the quantity of the reacting substances.

Van 't Hoff studied chemical dynamics and in 1884 published his famous "Études de dynamique chimique". In 1901 he was awarded by the first Nobel Prize in Chemistry "in recognition of the extraordinary services he has rendered by the discovery of the laws of chemical dynamics and osmotic pressure in solutions".

After van 't Hoff, chemical kinetics deals with the experimental determination of reaction rates from which rate laws and rate constants are derived. Relatively simple rate laws exist for zero order reactions (for which reaction rates are independent of concentration), first order reactions, and second order reactions, and can be derived for others. Elementary reactions follow the law of mass action, but the rate law of stepwise reactions has to be derived by combining the rate laws of the various elementary steps, and can become rather complex. In consecutive reactions, the rate-determining step often determines the kinetics. In consecutive first order reactions, a steady state approximation can simplify the rate law. The activation energy for a reaction is experimentally determined through the Arrhenius equation and the Eyring equation. The main factors that influence the reaction rate include: the physical state of the reactants, the concentrations of the reactants, the temperature at which the reaction occurs, and whether or not any catalysts are present in the reaction.

Gorban and Yablonsky have suggested that the history of chemical dynamics can be divided into three eras. The first is the van 't Hoff wave searching for the general laws of chemical reactions and relating kinetics to thermodynamics. The second may be called the Semenov--Hinshelwood wave with emphasis on reaction mechanisms, especially for chain reactions. The third is associated with Aris and the detailed mathematical description of chemical reaction networks.

Factors affecting reaction rate
Nature of the reactants
The reaction rate varies depending upon what substances are reacting. Acid/base reactions, the formation of salts, and ion exchange are usually fast reactions. When covalent bond formation takes place between the molecules and when large molecules are formed, the reactions tend to be slower.

The nature and strength of bonds in reactant molecules greatly influence the rate of their transformation into products.

Physical state
The physical state (solid, liquid, or gas) of a reactant is also an important factor of the rate of change. When reactants are in the same phase, as in aqueous solution, thermal motion brings them into contact. However, when they are in different phases, the reaction is limited to the interface between the reactants. Reaction can occur only at their area of contact; in the case of a liquid and a gas, at the surface of the liquid. Vigorous shaking and stirring may be needed to bring the reaction to completion. This means that the more finely divided a solid or liquid reactant the greater its surface area per unit volume and the more contact it with the other reactant, thus the faster the reaction. To make an analogy, for example, when one starts a fire, one uses wood chips and small branches — one does not start with large logs right away. In organic chemistry, on water reactions are the exception to the rule that homogeneous reactions take place faster than heterogeneous reactions.

Surface area of solids
In a solid, only those particles that are at the surface can be involved in a reaction. Crushing a solid into smaller parts means that more particles are present at the surface, and the frequency of collisions between these and reactant particles increases, and so reaction occurs more rapidly. For example, Sherbet (powder) is a mixture of very fine powder of malic acid (a weak organic acid) and sodium hydrogen carbonate. On contact with the saliva in the mouth, these chemicals quickly dissolve and react, releasing carbon dioxide and providing for the fizzy sensation. Also, fireworks manufacturers modify the surface area of solid reactants to control the rate at which the fuels in fireworks are oxidised, using this to create different effects. For example, finely divided aluminium confined in a shell explodes violently. If larger pieces of aluminium are used, the reaction is slower and sparks are seen as pieces of burning metal are ejected.

Concentration
Main article: Rate equation
The reactions are due to collisions of reactant species. The frequency with which the molecules or ions collide depends upon their concentrations. The more crowded the molecules are, the more likely they are to collide and react with one another. Thus, an increase in the concentrations of the reactants will usually result in the corresponding increase in the reaction rate, while a decrease in the concentrations will usually have a reverse effect. For example, combustion will occur more rapidly in pure oxygen than in air (21% oxygen).

The rate equation shows the detailed dependence of the reaction rate on the concentrations of reactants and other species present. Different mathematical forms are possible depending on the reaction mechanism. The actual rate equation for a given reaction is determined experimentally and provides information about the reaction mechanism. The mathematical expression of the rate equation is often given by

{\displaystyle v={\frac {\mathrm {d} c}{\mathrm {d} t}}=k\prod _{i}c_{i}^{m_{i}}} {\displaystyle v={\frac {\mathrm {d} c}{\mathrm {d} t}}=k\prod _{i}c_{i}^{m_{i}}}
Here {\displaystyle k} k is the reaction rate constant, {\displaystyle c_{i}} c_{i} is the molar concentration of reactant i and {\displaystyle m_{i}} m_{i} is the partial order of reaction for this reactant. The partial order for a reactant can only be determined experimentally and is often different from its stoechiometric coefficient.

Temperature
Main article: Arrhenius equation
Temperature usually has a major effect on the rate of a chemical reaction. Molecules at a higher temperature have more thermal energy. Although collision frequency is greater at higher temperatures, this alone contributes only a very small proportion to the increase in rate of reaction. Much more important is the fact that the proportion of reactant molecules with sufficient energy to react (energy greater than activation energy: E > Ea) is significantly higher and is explained in detail by the Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution of molecular energies.

The 'rule of thumb' that the rate of chemical reactions doubles for every 10 °C temperature rise is a common misconception. This may have been generalized from the special case of biological systems, where the α (temperature coefficient) is often between 1.5 and 2.5.

A reaction's kinetics can also be studied with a temperature jump approach. This involves using a sharp rise in temperature and observing the relaxation time of the return to equilibrium. A particularly useful form of temperature jump apparatus is a shock tube, which can rapidly jump a gas's temperature by more than 1000 degrees.

Catalysts
Main article: Catalysis

Generic potential energy diagram showing the effect of a catalyst in a hypothetical endothermic chemical reaction. The presence of the catalyst opens a different reaction pathway (shown in red) with a lower activation energy. The final result and the overall thermodynamics are the same.
A catalyst is a substance that alters the rate of a chemical reaction but remains chemically unchanged afterwards. The catalyst increases the rate of the reaction by providing a different reaction mechanism to occur with a lower activation energy. In autocatalysis a reaction product is itself a catalyst for that reaction leading to positive feedback. Proteins that act as catalysts in biochemical reactions are called enzymes. Michaelis–Menten kinetics describe the rate of enzyme mediated reactions. A catalyst does not affect the position of the equilibrium, as the catalyst speeds up the backward and forward reactions equally.

In certain organic molecules, specific substituents can have an influence on reaction rate in neighbouring group participation.[citation needed]

Pressure
Increasing the pressure in a gaseous reaction will increase the number of collisions between reactants, increasing the rate of reaction. This is because the activity of a gas is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas. This is similar to the effect of increasing the concentration of a solution.

In addition to this straightforward mass-action effect, the rate coefficients themselves can change due to pressure. The rate coefficients and products of many high-temperature gas-phase reactions change if an inert gas is added to the mixture; variations on this effect are called fall-off and chemical activation. These phenomena are due to exothermic or endothermic reactions occurring faster than heat transfer, causing the reacting molecules to have non-thermal energy distributions (non-Boltzmann distribution). Increasing the pressure increases the heat transfer rate between the reacting molecules and the rest of the system, reducing this effect.

Condensed-phase rate coefficients can also be affected by (very high) pressure; this is a completely different effect than fall-off or chemical-activation. It is often studied using diamond anvils.

A reaction's kinetics can also be studied with a pressure jump approach. This involves making fast changes in pressure and observing the relaxation time of the return to equilibrium.

Presence of Light
Light provides necessary activation energy to the starting materials, therefore, most of the reactions becomes faster in the presence of light. Example: Photosynthesis

Experimental methods
The experimental determination of reaction rates involves measuring how the concentrations of reactants or products change over time. For example, the concentration of a reactant can be measured by spectrophotometry at a wavelength where no other reactant or product in the system absorbs light.

For reactions which take at least several minutes, it is possible to start the observations after the reactants have been mixed at the temperature of interest.

Fast reactions
For faster reactions, the time required to mix the reactants and bring them to a specified temperature may be comparable or longer than the half-life of the reaction. Special methods to start fast reactions without slow mixing step include

Stopped flow methods, which can reduce the mixing time to the order of a millisecond[7][8][9]
Chemical relaxation methods such as temperature jump and pressure jump, in which a pre-mixed system initially at equilibrium is perturbed by rapid heating or depressurization so that it is no longer at equilibrium, and the relaxation back to equilibrium is observed.[7][10][11][12] For example, this method has been used to study the neutralization H3O+ + OH− with a half-life of 1 μs or less under ordinary conditions.[7][12]
Flash photolysis, in which a laser pulse produces highly excited species such as free radicals, whose reactions are then studied.[9][13][14][15]
Equilibrium
While chemical kinetics is concerned with the rate of a chemical reaction, thermodynamics determines the extent to which reactions occur. In a reversible reaction, chemical equilibrium is reached when the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal [the principle of dynamic equilibrium ] and the concentrations of the reactants and Products no longer change. This is demonstrated by, for example, the Haber–Bosch process for combining nitrogen and hydrogen to produce ammonia. Chemical clock reactions such as the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction demonstrate that component concentrations can oscillate for a long time before finally attaining the equilibrium.

Free energy
In general terms, the free energy change (ΔG) of a reaction determines whether a chemical change will take place, but kinetics describes how fast the reaction is. A reaction can be very exothermic and have a very positive entropy change but will not happen in practice if the reaction is too slow. If a reactant can produce two different products, the thermodynamically most stable one will in general form, except in special circumstances when the reaction is said to be under kinetic reaction control. The Curtin–Hammett principle applies when determining the product ratio for two reactants interconverting rapidly, each going to a different product. It is possible to make predictions about reaction rate constants for a reaction from free-energy relationships.

The kinetic isotope effect is the difference in the rate of a chemical reaction when an atom in one of the reactants is replaced by one of its isotopes.

Chemical kinetics provides information on residence time and heat transfer in a chemical reactor in chemical engineering and the molar mass distribution in polymer chemistry. It is also provides information in corrosion engineering.

Applications and models
The mathematical models that describe chemical reaction kinetics provide chemists and chemical engineers with tools to better understand and describe chemical processes such as food decomposition, microorganism growth, stratospheric ozone decomposition, and the chemistry of biological systems. These models can also be used in the design or modification of chemical reactors to optimize product yield, more efficiently separate products, and eliminate environmentally harmful by-products. When performing catalytic cracking of heavy hydrocarbons into gasoline and light gas, for example, kinetic models can be used to find the temperature and pressure at which the highest yield of heavy hydrocarbons into gasoline will occur.

Chemical Kinetics is frequently validated and explored through modeling in specialized packages as a function of ordinary differential equation-solving (ODE-solving) and curve-fitting.

After the lecture and lab work, the bell rung and the class let out. The students gathered their belongings and the Professor Martinson assigned their homework assignments and then she signaled to speak with Kaleb Barrett and Reece Dixon to come up to the front desk while everyone else was leaving.

SuperKamiGuy1 wrote:

Matt took his seat in the back of his class and he began reviewing his notes. They had a big test today and he had to review while he still had time.

(Urgh, of all days to have a test, it has to be the one after a big fight. I'm not sorry of course. Those girls got to go home to their families because I kept hairball busy. But come on! Throw me a bone here!)

He smiled at his little inward joke for a minute and he continued looking over his notes. But then his smile faded as his mind drifted back to the case at hand.

(Heeeyyy....why was he targeting the girls? I mean...I could be wrong about this but fuzzball's previous victims, the ones they could identify anyway, all had criminal affiliations right?)

He set down his notes and put his right hand on his cheek and his left hand on his bicep.

(Crap. Okay, okay, real quick. I'll look it up reeaaaal quick. Just a minute. That should be fine right?)

He took out his cell phone and quickly typed in the name of one of the identified victims. Callousface Sandra. Residential mortgage fraud in the fifth degree. Placing a false bomb or hazardous substance in the first degree. Criminal sale of a firearm in the third degree. Loitering in the first degree. Criminal usury in the first degree. Promoting prison contraband in the first degree. Found mauled in a broken down shack.

(Yeah, that's a criminal alright. What about the others?)

He typed in another name. John Delaney. Criminal sale of marijuana in the third degree. Impairing the integrity of a pair-mutuel betting system in the second degree. Gaming fraud in the second degree. Making an apparently sworn false statement in the second degree. Rent gouging in the second degree. Tampering with a consumer product in the first degree. Found mauled in the same location as Sandra. He looked up a few more names and then turned off the phone and returned to his notes.

(Okay. So. At least five of the identified remains of his victims in Serenity City were men and women with previously known criminal affiliations and long rap sheets. That doesn't mean that he hasn't been targeting innocent people but his m.o. has apparently been to target criminals so far.....so why go after the girls? I know Beverly Parker at least. She's never done anything illegal that I know of. Christina Chamberlain? Samia Stuart? Georgina Ortega? Why target them either?)

He set down his notes and put his head in his hands. It was too early for this and he had a test in a few minutes.

(Helena. I need to talk to Helena. If anybody knows what's up with the girls, it's her.)

"Hello Class!"

Matt's head jerked up and he saw Professor Mary Kim Martinson, 31, dancing into class with piles of test papers in her hands. She is tall and has a wide-hipped build. Her skin is chocolate-brown and she died her hair pink at some point. She has high cheekbones and wide feet. Her wardrobe is tight and she is married to Professor Claire Viola Martinson, the AP Chemistry Professor. So the students generally tried to stay on both their good sides.

"Who's ready for test day?!" She sang out with a big smile on her face.

(Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge!)

One student, Landen Lee, raised his hand up. "Is this open note ma'am?"

"Open note tests are for the weak. You'll never learn that way kids. I'll tell you what those Landen, you can hand out the tests for me."

"Okay ma'am." He stood up and took the papers and walked around the classroom handing out the papers to the various students while they put their stuff away. "Alright then. Bring it on." Matt said while laying out his pencils.

Once all of the papers were handed out Professor Martinson clapped her hands together. "Alright kids you know the rules. You have the rest of the hour to work on the test but when the bell rings its pencils down. If you finish ahead of time, turn your paper over and wait for the end of class to hand it in please. Good luck everybody!" She took her seat and smiled as the kids began working on the test.

I. VIRIAL EQUILIBRIUM

Consider a gas cloud comprised of hydrogen. The mass M = 10 6 M , radius R = 50 pc, and temperature T = 10 K. The energy from the gas comes from assuming an ideal gas law. Explain it below:

II. SIMPLE STELLAR MODEL

(a) What is the mass M of the star (in units ofM)?

(b) What is the free-fall timeτfffor this star, in suitable units (s, h, years. . . )?

(c) Find the pressureP(r)

(d) Find the central pressurePc

III. DEFINE PLANCK TIME

IV. DEFINE CHANDRASEKHAR MASS

V. SHORT PROBLEMS IN GRAVITY

(a)Find the gravitational acceleration due tot he Sun at the location of the Earth’s orbit(i.e.,at a distance of 1AU)

(b) Show that for a small mass, m, orbiting a much larger mass, M , in an eccentric orbit, that the area swept out per unit time by a line joining the large and small mass is a constant around the orbit (i.e., Kepler’s 2nd law).

(c) The orbits of several stars have been measured orbiting the massive black hole near the center of our Galaxy. One of them has an orbital period of 15 years, and the orbital radius is 0.12 second of arc (as seen from the Earth). Take the distance to the Galactic center to be 8 kpc. Compute the mass of the black hole, starting from F = ma. Express your answer in units of the Sun’s mass (M�). (Assume that Newton’s law of gravity is applicable for orbits sufficiently far from a black hole, and that the orbiting star satisfies this condition.

VI. GEOMETRIC AND PHYSICAL OPTICS

(a) Find the theoretical limiting angular resolution of a commercial 8­inch (diameter) optical telescope being used in visible (at λ = 5000˚A = 500 nm = 5 × 10−5 cm = 5 × 10−7 m).

(b)A large ground­based telescope has an effective focal length of 10 meters. Two astronomi­ cal objects are separated by 1 arc second in the sky. How far apart will the two corresponding images be in the focal plane?

(c)A collimated light beam propagating in water is incident on the surface (air/water inter­ face) at an angle θwater with respect to the surface normal. If the index of refraction of water is n = 1.3, find an expression for the angle of the light once it emerges from the water into the air, θair. What is the critical angle, i.e., θwater = θcrit, such that the light will not emerge from the water?

VII. SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS

(a)Use the Bohr model of the atom to compute the wavelength of the transition from the n = 100 to n = 99 levels. [Useful relation: the wavelength of Lα (n = 2 to n = 1 transition) is 1216˚A.]

(b)A galaxy moves directly away from us with speed v, and the wavelength of its Hα line is observed to be 6784A˚. The rest wavelength of Hα is 6565˚A. Find v.

(c)A star is at a distance from the Earth of 300 pc. Find its parallax angle, π.

VIII. LUMINOSITY AND MAGNITUDES

(a)A particular star has an absolute magnitude M = ­7. If this star is observed in a galaxy that is at a distance of 3 Mpc, what will its apparent magnitude be? What is the distance modulus to this galaxy?

(b)The differential luminosity from a star, ΔL, with an approximate blackbody spectrum, is given by:

(Oh thank God. At least it doesn't look too hard.) Matt mused to himself with amusement. He twirled his pencil and got to work.

Matt twirled his pencil, gripped it lightly between his fingers and he got to work on the test.

Matt finished the test and then he checked his worked and then he checked it again. The third check was just to make sure he'd signed his name. Satisfied that everything was correct and in its place, he set his pencil down and walked to the front of the class to hand his paper in.

"Gooood morning Matthew! Did you sleep well?"

"Like a rock ma'am." He handed in his test. "All yours."

She looked over the paper. "Fantastic work Matt. Feel free to take the rest of class to rest."

"Thank you." He smiled and walked back to his desk, sat down and rested his eyes for the rest of the period.

He awakened to the sound of the epic school bell ringing and he stretched.

"Long night musclehead?" Tommy Allen laughed. He's a tall and muscular male student with a small faint scar on his left cheek and light brown hair that looks like it's going in every direction. He wears a thin gray t-shirt with the sleeves rolled to make it appear as a tank top and army style camo pants.

"Well you know, gotta keep the gains up." Matt said as a quick excuse for his exhaustion. It was his usual, go to excuse and it had worked well so far.

"Aren't you jacked enough already big guy?"

"There is no such thing." Matt smirked.

He started gathering his belongings but the professor signaled him. "Ah Mister Maximilian? Could I speak to you for a moment?"

"Sure." He finished putting his books into his bag, zipped it up and walked up to the front desk as the students walked out. "Is everything okay ma'am? If it's about me closing my eyes I'm sorry."

"No but yes. Are you okay Matthew? It isn't like you to be so exhausted in class. Are you feeling okay? Is your home life alright?"

"I'm fine ma'am. Honestly. I just workout a lot. Plenty of pushups and sit ups and weight lifting, shadow boxing, gymnastics....freerunning. So much freerunning."

"Well okay. Just don't push yourself too okay? You're still young. You should go out and enjoy it."

He chuckled. "Okay yeah, I will. Great test today too. Really got my brain rushing."

"I'm so glad to hear that. I work really hard on these you know!" She beamed. "We could always have another one tomorrow if you want!"

"I will....get back to you on that." He smiled and walked out of the class. "Have a great day ma'am!"

Matthew Maximilian proceeded down the hallway. (Okay. So. Got a bit of rest at least. After my next class I need to go find Helena.)

Matthew Maximilian proceeded down the hallway. (Okay. So. Got a bit of rest at least. After my next class I need to go find Helena.)

The duo quietly waited till just about the whole class left the classroom, Reece, with a heavy sigh, says to her bros-if "Lets go face the music"

Kaleb gave her the wounded puppy look, "I don't want to go"

"Save that for the teacher" she nudged him forward the pair walked like they're on a death march. The moment they got up to her desk the words instantly spout from Kaleb's mouth, "Don't punish Reece, ma'am. I was the one who encourage her to take part in it. So I'm willing to take the bulk of whatever karma will dish out"

Reece just looked at him, stunned.
Professor Martinson leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms. "Care to explain what you were thinking?"

"I'm sorry. It was stupid, my hormones took over my brain for the moment and I spoke without thinking. Believe me ma'am, I am sincerely sorry for my behavior." Kaleb apologized from the bottom of his heart.

"Kaleb, Reece, you are aware of the rules here correct? Did you even consider how Lian would've felt if she heard you?"

Kaleb hung his head and Reece answered instead. "Believe me ma'am, we're well aware of the rules and the zero tolerance policies in place. We're aware that this institution is meant to be a safe and secure institution of higher learning for everyone who comes here seeking knowledge. We're sorry for our behavior and that you're right that we should've considered Lian's feelings before speaking out."

Kaleb raised his head back up. "Please Professor. What can we do to make this right?"

Professor Martinson took a deep breath and then exhaled. She crouched down and pulled out a pad and paper. She tapped the back of a pen on it. "As far as apologies go, not bad. I can tell you sincerely mean it and given that this is your first offense....I'm willing to be lenient. I won't be writing you up but in exchange I want a three page handwritten essay, so that I know that it was the two of you that wrote them, detailing what you did wrong and why your behavior was wrong and what you can do to improve upon your behavior in the future." She started writing on the notepad. "In addition I am assigning you both extra homework: The properties of water, hydrogen bonding and dissolution of sodium chloride AND Finding the molecular weight of a vapor by Duma's Method." She wrote down the assignments on the piece of paper and handed it to them. "Have fun!"

"THANK YOU SO MUCH MA'AM!" They exclaimed simultaneously. "You are seriously THE BEST!"

"I've often thought so but thank you children." She wrote them both a hall pass and handed them out. "Run along now and remember to think about what you did."

"Yes ma'am. We will. Thank you!" They accepted the passes and hurried out of the class.

Professor Martinson laughed as she watched them leave. "Hmmmmmm.....seriously the best huh?" She wrote herself a note on the notepad. "Note to self: Assign extra homework more often."

"I can't believe we made it out of there!" Reece took a few deep breaths. "I thought we were dead for sure!"

"I felt like we just got an execution lowered down to community service." Kaleb gasped for breath and quickly ran over to a drinking fountain and took a few gulps of water and then he stood up. "Okay! first order of business: We find Lian and we apologize if she heard us. We owe her that."

"Agreed." Reece nodded hir head in agreement.

"Second: Wanna work on the essays together tonight over Firmament?"

"Oh my gooood yes! That would be a life saver. You are a life saver. I mean, really, thank you for that back there."

"Birds gotta flock together right?" Kaleb smiled and put an arm around his best friend and then raising his hand. "Condors!"

"Condors for life!" They first bumped together and then parted them and wiggled their fingers together before putting their hands together like a beak and pushing them together again while making Condor noises and then they walked to their next class while laughing together.

"Okay, so I'm sending you guys my E-Maaaaiiillll now." Summer said to Flannery, Hiro and Lian. "And then we go! I'll send you my notes later and we can talk tonight together on Firm if you'd like."

In another section of the school a young lady was sitting on a desk in an empty classroom while talking on a holo-phone. The camera was turned off. The holo-phone was showing transparent images of a blonde man and a dark haired man both of them were wearing fine suits.

The young lady is tall with the athletic body of a cheerleading gymnast with short blonde hair with tanned skin, and green eyes. She has noticeably large breasts and a plentiful set of buttocks as well and is not shy about showing it.

"Yes I am aware that the police are watching the girls but they can't always be around them can they? I want ninjas watching them around the clock. We've got more than enough of them to spare some for my friends. Tell Daddy it was my idea if you have just get it done! If this Brutus furball thinks he can target my friends he's got another thing coming! Speaking of whom, I want him tracked down and taken down hard! And I mean put him down like the rabid mutt he is! Nobody goes on a killing spree in our city without facing the consequences!" She ordered the men. "And somebody find The Bruiser already. I want to have some words with him regarding what happened last night. Cool?"

"Yes ma'am. Of course. We'll pass the message along to your father. Have a good day, Miss D'amico."

"You guys too." Helena D'amico turned off her phone and hopped off of the desk and walked to the door. She turned around to the camera, reached into her pocket and pulled out a small device and pointed it at the camera and pressed a button. The camera slowly turned back on but she was already out the door.

Her friends were waiting for her outside. Helena reached into her bag she left with them and pulled out some hall passes and handed them out. "Thanks for waiting on me girls. Here you are."

"Thanks for these Helley, but are you okay?"

Helena D'amcio adjusted her tie. "I will be. Once this animal is either dead or locked up. But that's for later. Come on. We've got classes to attend and new students to greet."

"Mornin' guys!" Matt greeted his friends as noticed them in the hallway.

"Hey big guy!" Kaleb greeted him with a high five followed by one from Reece.

"Hey big guy!" Kaleb greeted him with a high five followed by one from Reece.

"You guys keeping out of trouble?"

"More like getting into some." Reece admitted while they walked. "We opened our big dumb mouths and got assigned some extra homework."

Matt laughed. "You gotta watch what you say in Martinson's class. She's got ears like a bat. She can hear you no matter how quiet you are in there. What's the homework?"

"The properties of water, hydrogen bonding and dissolution of sodium chloride AND Finding the molecular weight of a vapor by Duma's Method." Kaleb responded.

"I wouldn't worry too much then. The Dumas method just follows the ideal gas law is all. You place a small quantity of a substance into a tared vessel of known volume. The vessel is then heated in a boiling water bath; all the air within the flask would be expelled, replaced by the vapor of the substance. When no remaining liquid can be observed, the vessel may be sealed, dried, and weighed. By subtracting the tare of the vessel, the actual mass of the vapor within the vessel can be calculated. Assuming the compound obeyed the ideal gas equation, the number of moles of the unknown compound, n, can be determined by p V = n R T {\displaystyle pV=nRT\,} where the pressure, p, is the atmospheric pressure, V is the measured volume of the vessel, T is the absolute temperature of the boiling water bath, and R is the ideal gas constant. By dividing the mass in grams of the vapor within the vessel by the calculated number of moles, the molecular weight may be obtained." Matt summarized.

"Yeah! That's it exactly!" Kaleb nodded his head in agreement. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to collaborate on homework together over Firmament?"

(Hmmmm. Okay what to do here? I really should be out there looking for Brutus....but I can't just turn my back on my friends. Besides with the ABP out on him anyway and the tech the police have? I'm sure they'll find him anyhow. Lets see now. If we're at school for eight hours, doing homework for six hours and need nine hours of sleep for our developing brains, then that leaves approximately....1 hour or so for other activities like eating, bathing, exercising, socializing and extracurriculars, chores, relaxation and family time....not to mention the fact that I'm still tired from our last fight....on the other hand! If we set up a group chat and work on the assignments together that could cut the time working on homework in half, giving me time for a good dinner and a quick nap before I go out on patrol to take a quick look for the animal!)

"You got it Kaleb. All in! I'll talk to Hank about working together with us too."

"You're a lifesaver Matt." Reece complimented him.

Matt beamed. "Compliments appreciated Reece."

"Anyways! Lets get off the homework topic for a more fun one. We met the new kids!" Kaleb told him.

"Spill."
"Sure!" Flannery agreed. "My account is Royal Bureau of Justice 777, all one word."

"Agent Majestic Defender." Hiro informed them.

"Niiice niiiice." Summer grinned while jotting those down. "Mine's Light My Choir."

"The choir being your replicants?" Flannery guessed.

"Got it in one!" Summer laughed. "How about you Lian?"

"Cherry Siren Succubus."

(Spicy!) Summer thought to herself. "And got it. Alright. We'll all meet up online around say 6? We can collaborate on our assignments. Kids here do it all the time." She suggested to her new friends before she turned more serious. "However and I'm sorry to kill the mood but there's something important I want to stress to you: Go straight home. Don't linger around anywhere any longer than you have to. Go straight home and lock your doors. There's a monster out there stalking the city streets and mauling people. The Serenity City Bruiser busted him up pretty bad last night but the police haven't been able to find him yet. So until he's caught, go home, lock your doors and stay inside." Two clones stepped out of her. "Institute a buddy system if you have to but don't go anywhere alone." All three of them told the trio.

You are here » World of Paragons » Serenity Knights » Serenity Knights