World of Paragons

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » World of Paragons » The Knights of Wolf-Crest » Dragon Knight: The Knight of Wolf-Crest

Dragon Knight: The Knight of Wolf-Crest

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Summary: Azura is a teenager who juggles between operating as a professional superhero and raising her younger brother Ryu in the busy metropolis that is Wolf-Crest. A technology nirvana as most would describe it. Yet underneath lies a rather poisonous center that Azura herself will soon discover. And she'll now be faced with a task. Can she protect the defenseless against the city's corruption and not fall into its darkness?

https://i.imgur.com/uOc8y9I.jpg

Author's Note:
This story came to me when thinking about a simple concept that is a fallen hero. The ending of Luke Cage comes to mind.

Where he became a villain for the greater good of the city. So I thought about exploring that. Instead of the cynical method, I thought why not provide reasoning as to why the hero did what he did? While, at the same time, explore it through the eyes of an aspiring hero in Azura Kusanagi.

Valhalla Erikson wrote:

Summary: Azura is a teenager who juggles between operating as a professional superhero and raising her younger brother Ryu in the busy metropolis that is Wolf-Crest. A technology nirvana as most would describe it. Yet underneath lies a rather poisonous center that Azura herself will soon discover. And she'll now be faced with a task. Can she protect the defenseless against the city's corruption and not fall into its darkness?

Author's Note: This story came to me when thinking about a simple concept that is a fallen hero. The ending of Luke Cage comes to mind.

Where he became a villain for the greater good of the city. So I thought about exploring that. Instead of the cynical method, I thought why not provide reasoning as to why the hero did what he did? While, at the same time, explore it through the eyes of an aspiring hero in Azura Kusanagi.

The funny thing is, Luke didn't even fall really. He just owns a nightclub now. He popped up in Jessica Jones acting as chill as ever. He's making more money now is all.  :rofl:

Either way, very cool premise! Unlike Cingejustice, this will actually tackle the subject with real depth that explores the pros and cons and the motivation behind a superheroes real fall. This could be really fun! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the idea man!

Chapter 1

The cold is slowly seeping through my bones.

I want to leave. It’s barely a few hours into the afternoon and the locked flame Noa Novak has created is barely warming me up. I blow a breath into my palms and they warm up for a few seconds. Then, the bristling cold resumes and I groan.

Noa smirks at me. He’s a flame-wielding Chimera, one of the few calm ones I’ve met in Wolf Crest. He’s just a year older than me and the owner of this apartment where I have rented a third of it for my business. We’re in the same line of business- Paragons for hire but most times, we get separate clients.

Technically, this place is more of a single room than an apartment. He sleeps here in the night with his sister Natasha who is also my closest friend. In the day, when his sister works at her diner, Noa and I turn this place into an office.

“Shut up, Noa,” I warn him. Since Noa is a flame wielder, he can use his abilities to shield himself from the cold- which he often does. I can see the steam rising up from his body and I’m desperate to go home where it will be warm but I have to stay in case someone comes in looking for me.

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” Noa smirks again, dialing the buttons on his Pip band.

“Yeah, right,” I mutter, rubbing my arms with my palms. “If I hear you say that you can warm me up one more time, I’ll stab you with a fork.”

He rolls his eyes. Technically, this is his fault. Because he can warm himself up, he didn’t see the need to pay for heat. Now, I’m shivering and he’s having the time of his life. I’m almost angry- after all, I paid my rent this month, he should be kind enough to think of me.

Usually, this isn’t an issue. He can release enough heat for the both of us but because I made comment about his new hairstyle, he promised me that today, I would go without heat. I thought he was joking and would eventually share his heat but it has been hours and Noa is keeping true to his word.

It’s not my fault his hair looks like a faded pink rag, all thanks to the shabby job he did on himself this morning.

I shiver again, warming my fingers with my warm breath. I could sue Noa for the poor treatment of his tenants. I could but I won’t. Noa is a friend – one of my closest friends.

So, I don’t let my anger rise. Noa can barely afford this place, let alone buy the add-on of heat. He uses this place as his office during the day and for the past three months, Noa, at night, he pulls out the bed from the wall to sleep, turning it from 2d to 3d with the Vhey, one of the Corporation’ most utilized inventions for the lower class citizens of Ikanori like us.

And now, I have to pay next month’s rent before the end of the week. Three more days. If not, I’m doomed.

Lately, everything has become so expensive here in Wolf Crest and even as more and more people are coming to this city come every day to build something for most people leave before a month is up. Yes, the Ikanori Gazette called Wolf Crest the technological heaven of Ikanori for what was apparently the seventh year in a row but everyone here should at least admit it- the cost of living here is too high.

Author's Note:
Noa Novak in the house baby!

Valhalla Erikson wrote:

Chapter 1

The cold is slowly seeping through my bones.

I want to leave. It’s barely a few hours into the afternoon and the locked flame Noa Novak has created is barely warming me up. I blow a breath into my palms and they warm up for a few seconds. Then, the bristling cold resumes and I groan.

Noa smirks at me. He’s a flame-wielding Chimera, one of the few calm ones I’ve met in Wolf Crest. He’s just a year older than me and the owner of this apartment where I have rented a third of it for my business. We’re in the same line of business- Paragons for hire but most times, we get separate clients.

Technically, this place is more of a single room than an apartment. He sleeps here in the night with his sister Natasha who is also my closest friend. In the day, when his sister works at her diner, Noa and I turn this place into an office.

“Shut up, Noa,” I warn him. Since Noa is a flame wielder, he can use his abilities to shield himself from the cold- which he often does. I can see the steam rising up from his body and I’m desperate to go home where it will be warm but I have to stay in case someone comes in looking for me.

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” Noa smirks again, dialing the buttons on his Pip band.

“Yeah, right,” I mutter, rubbing my arms with my palms. “If I hear you say that you can warm me up one more time, I’ll stab you with a fork.”

He rolls his eyes. Technically, this is his fault. Because he can warm himself up, he didn’t see the need to pay for heat. Now, I’m shivering and he’s having the time of his life. I’m almost angry- after all, I paid my rent this month, he should be kind enough to think of me.

Usually, this isn’t an issue. He can release enough heat for the both of us but because I made comment about his new hairstyle, he promised me that today, I would go without heat. I thought he was joking and would eventually share his heat but it has been hours and Noa is keeping true to his word.

It’s not my fault his hair looks like a faded pink rag, all thanks to the shabby job he did on himself this morning.

I shiver again, warming my fingers with my warm breath. I could sue Noa for the poor treatment of his tenants. I could but I won’t. Noa is a friend – one of my closest friends.

So, I don’t let my anger rise. Noa can barely afford this place, let alone buy the add-on of heat. He uses this place as his office during the day and for the past three months, Noa, at night, he pulls out the bed from the wall to sleep, turning it from 2d to 3d with the Vhey, one of the Corporation’ most utilized inventions for the lower class citizens of Ikanori like us.

And now, I have to pay next month’s rent before the end of the week. Three more days. If not, I’m doomed.

Lately, everything has become so expensive here in Wolf Crest and even as more and more people are coming to this city come every day to build something for most people leave before a month is up. Yes, the Ikanori Gazette called Wolf Crest the technological heaven of Ikanori for what was apparently the seventh year in a row but everyone here should at least admit it- the cost of living here is too high.

Author's Note: Noa Novak in the house baby!

Noa is such a troll. I do like the Classic Spidey Comics with the money trouble and hard life in between the big superhero adventures. It automatically makes them nice and relatable and you really find yourself rooting for them to rise up and conqueor the challenges to become the legendary heroes acheiving greatness they are meant to be!

This is why I'd do advance pays. If I can afford it.

Chapter 2

“Azura,” Noa calls out to me, his tone deathly scary. He lifts his Pip band to me. A hologram pops out so I can see much more clearly. He’s watching the most recent broadcast that the Corporation usually sends when there is something new or worthy of note.

I rush to Noa’s side, despite the fact that I could see from where I was sited.

He hits play.

It’s a video of Sector 1- I can easily tell because of the sky-high buildings and how the place looks very polished and well-maintained. We are watching from a street camera a few meters away from a crowded building. What is usually a peaceful place is now disrupted because of the people running out of a building. The screams are high-pitched and panicky.

I squint, trying to understand what is happening.

It happens on the top floor. The loud blast reaches us even before the building explodes, practically turning to rubble and dust. People who made it out of the building are now scrambling to be far away from where ever the building is going to collapse.

The building sinks quickly and dust follows it. The video turns off.

The news anchor, Lisa the robot announces, “The Tax Department of the Corporation received a bomb threat a few minutes before the building went off. From the deactivation of the Pip bands, it is clear that sixty-seven lives have been lost. We are still unsure of the total injured. So far, the people who managed to escape from the building have been tallied and the number is at one hundred and sixty-four. All fingers point to the specter, the vigilante group who has been wreaking havoc in all of Ikanori.”

Lisa continues talking, her robotic voice droning on. I pull away from Noa and head back to my seat. “Wow, this-”

“They’re just making this up,” Noa says to himself, shaking his head. The video is replaying but this time, Noa has silenced it. I look at it just in time as the building explodes, raising sand and soil. I shake my head and look away.

“They’re just making this up,” Noa repeats. “There is no way that the Specter would do this.”

It’s not a secret that Noa thinks that the Specter is a cool group. Who cares if they break the laws and conspire to overthrow the government?

I’m not just ready to listen to him rave and banter on about why they are right. “Noa, people are dead. I don’t think this is the time you want to be defending the Specter.”

“But there is no way they would do that. What would be their angle?” Noa points at the video still replaying. “Why would they want to kill people?”

“They have their reasons.”

Noa shakes his head, rising from his chair. “No, you don’t understand. They are not the bad guys. Not the way the Corporation portrays them to be.”

I squint at him, confused. “Are you” I swallow, not wanting to acknowledge what my brain was thinking.

“Are you part of them, Noa?”

He scowls at me, his turn to be confused. “What? No!”

“So why are you so riled up today?”

He shrugs. “I don’t like the way you frown every single time you hear ‘specter’.”

“Why wouldn’t I frown? They do illegal stuff.”

“You do illegal stuff.”

I splutter. “What? Paragons for hire aren’t illegal.” There had been many decrees criminalizing the creation or joining of vigilante groups. However, what I do was permitted in the Constitution of Ikanori.

“Yeah, but that other stuff. Don’t deceive yourself that you’re better than they are.”

I roll my eyes, unwilling to argue further.

I stand up, dragging my chair backward. It’s time to go home. There’s no point wasting my time here today. The metal screeches against the marble and both of us cringe at the awful sound.

“Careful,” Noa cautions, glowering at me.

“Sorry,” I mutter, not really sorry. I stuff my belongings into my bag and tap a button on my wristband. Almost immediately, the table and chair flatten against the wall. I run my finger against the wall and I feel nothing but the wall. Yes, I can see the shape of the table and chair but I cannot feel it. Despite the fact that the Vhey was invented four years ago, I still marvel at how well it turns 3-dimensional objects into one or two dimensions depending on the settings you select. When it was patented, the Founding Fathers called it revolutionary and now, everyone has integrated it into their Pip bands.

“They made Sorsha High Correspondent in Wolf Crest.”

I face him. The four of us were the best of friends. Me. Noa. Natasha. Sorsha. But Sorsha had traveled out a few weeks ago. She hadn’t told any of us she was back.

“She’s back?”

He nods. “She didn’t tell me though.”

“That she’s back? Or that she’s High Correspondent of an illegal group?”

“Both.”

“How do you know then?”

“I have friends.” He says so flippantly, smirking, that I almost want to smile. But I resist. I’m still angry at him.

“They’re not bad people, Azura.”

I head towards the door, about half a step because the room is so small.

Noa calls my name. I stop and sigh, closing my eyes. I know what he’s going to say. I’ve been expecting this.

“Azura.” He calls my name again.

I slowly turn, my boots making squeaky sounds.

When I open my eyes, his eyes are patiently watching me.  “Yeah?”

“I just wanted to remind you-“

“I haven’t forgotten, Noa,” I snap. I take a deep breath, regretting instantly using that tone of voice on him. It’s been a while since our fights lasted more than a few seconds.

“There’s no need to get angry with me,” he tells me, his eyes turning to slits. “Do you think I like this more than you? If you don’t pay your rent, do you think I’ll love searching for a new tenant? Half of the people here are crazy. It’ll take a while to get someone I’ll trust to share this space with me, even if it’s just for 6 hours every day.”

“I’m sorry. Once I get a new client, I’ll pay you. That’s all.”

He nods, satisfied with my answer.

Valhalla Erikson wrote:

Chapter 2

“Azura,” Noa calls out to me, his tone deathly scary. He lifts his Pip band to me. A hologram pops out so I can see much more clearly. He’s watching the most recent broadcast that the Corporation usually sends when there is something new or worthy of note.

I rush to Noa’s side, despite the fact that I could see from where I was sited.

He hits play.

It’s a video of Sector 1- I can easily tell because of the sky-high buildings and how the place looks very polished and well-maintained. We are watching from a street camera a few meters away from a crowded building. What is usually a peaceful place is now disrupted because of the people running out of a building. The screams are high-pitched and panicky.

I squint, trying to understand what is happening.

It happens on the top floor. The loud blast reaches us even before the building explodes, practically turning to rubble and dust. People who made it out of the building are now scrambling to be far away from where ever the building is going to collapse.

The building sinks quickly and dust follows it. The video turns off.

The news anchor, Lisa the robot announces, “The Tax Department of the Corporation received a bomb threat a few minutes before the building went off. From the deactivation of the Pip bands, it is clear that sixty-seven lives have been lost. We are still unsure of the total injured. So far, the people who managed to escape from the building have been tallied and the number is at one hundred and sixty-four. All fingers point to the specter, the vigilante group who has been wreaking havoc in all of Ikanori.”

Lisa continues talking, her robotic voice droning on. I pull away from Noa and head back to my seat. “Wow, this-”

“They’re just making this up,” Noa says to himself, shaking his head. The video is replaying but this time, Noa has silenced it. I look at it just in time as the building explodes, raising sand and soil. I shake my head and look away.

“They’re just making this up,” Noa repeats. “There is no way that the Specter would do this.”

It’s not a secret that Noa thinks that the Specter is a cool group. Who cares if they break the laws and conspire to overthrow the government?

I’m not just ready to listen to him rave and banter on about why they are right. “Noa, people are dead. I don’t think this is the time you want to be defending the Specter.”

“But there is no way they would do that. What would be their angle?” Noa points at the video still replaying. “Why would they want to kill people?”

“They have their reasons.”

Noa shakes his head, rising from his chair. “No, you don’t understand. They are not the bad guys. Not the way the Corporation portrays them to be.”

I squint at him, confused. “Are you” I swallow, not wanting to acknowledge what my brain was thinking.

“Are you part of them, Noa?”

He scowls at me, his turn to be confused. “What? No!”

“So why are you so riled up today?”

He shrugs. “I don’t like the way you frown every single time you hear ‘specter’.”

“Why wouldn’t I frown? They do illegal stuff.”

“You do illegal stuff.”

I splutter. “What? Paragons for hire aren’t illegal.” There had been many decrees criminalizing the creation or joining of vigilante groups. However, what I do was permitted in the Constitution of Ikanori.

“Yeah, but that other stuff. Don’t deceive yourself that you’re better than they are.”

I roll my eyes, unwilling to argue further.

I stand up, dragging my chair backward. It’s time to go home. There’s no point wasting my time here today. The metal screeches against the marble and both of us cringe at the awful sound.

“Careful,” Noa cautions, glowering at me.

“Sorry,” I mutter, not really sorry. I stuff my belongings into my bag and tap a button on my wristband. Almost immediately, the table and chair flatten against the wall. I run my finger against the wall and I feel nothing but the wall. Yes, I can see the shape of the table and chair but I cannot feel it. Despite the fact that the Vhey was invented four years ago, I still marvel at how well it turns 3-dimensional objects into one or two dimensions depending on the settings you select. When it was patented, the Founding Fathers called it revolutionary and now, everyone has integrated it into their Pip bands.

“They made Sorsha High Correspondent in Wolf Crest.”

I face him. The four of us were the best of friends. Me. Noa. Natasha. Sorsha. But Sorsha had traveled out a few weeks ago. She hadn’t told any of us she was back.

“She’s back?”

He nods. “She didn’t tell me though.”

“That she’s back? Or that she’s High Correspondent of an illegal group?”

“Both.”

“How do you know then?”

“I have friends.” He says so flippantly, smirking, that I almost want to smile. But I resist. I’m still angry at him.

“They’re not bad people, Azura.”

I head towards the door, about half a step because the room is so small.

Noa calls my name. I stop and sigh, closing my eyes. I know what he’s going to say. I’ve been expecting this.

“Azura.” He calls my name again.

I slowly turn, my boots making squeaky sounds.

When I open my eyes, his eyes are patiently watching me.  “Yeah?”

“I just wanted to remind you-“

“I haven’t forgotten, Noa,” I snap. I take a deep breath, regretting instantly using that tone of voice on him. It’s been a while since our fights lasted more than a few seconds.

“There’s no need to get angry with me,” he tells me, his eyes turning to slits. “Do you think I like this more than you? If you don’t pay your rent, do you think I’ll love searching for a new tenant? Half of the people here are crazy. It’ll take a while to get someone I’ll trust to share this space with me, even if it’s just for 6 hours every day.”

“I’m sorry. Once I get a new client, I’ll pay you. That’s all.”

He nods, satisfied with my answer.

Well this definitely smells like a frame up but we'll have to wait until there's further evidence uncovered! I have a feeling this will be a major part of the ongoing story to uncover the truth of the bombing! In fact! What do you want to bet someone involved in the bombing, either from Specter or a victim of what happened, could be a potential client hiring her to uncover the truth?

You are here » World of Paragons » The Knights of Wolf-Crest » Dragon Knight: The Knight of Wolf-Crest